On May 23, 2022, the ballet world will be honoring Helgi Tomasson at Chelsea Factory who ends his prominent career as Artistic Director of San Francisco Ballet after 37 years.
After cocktails, hors d’oeuvres, and the premiere of MacKay Productions’ documentary on Tomasson’s life and tenure at SF Ballet, a performance of three pas deux choreographed by Tomasson will highlight the evening which conclude with a dinner and cocktail reception for select ticketholders.
The Ballet World Will Be Honoring Helgi Tomasson in NYC
The live performance part of the evening features:
- Chaconne for Piano and Two Dancers (1999, Handel/Tomasson), danced by Frances Chung and Wei Wang
- Harmony (2022, Rameau/Tomasson), danced by Sasha De Sola and Max Cauthorn
- The Fifth Season (2006, Jenkins/Tomasson), danced by Yuan Tan and Tiit Helimets
After the performance, Kay Mazzo, Chairman of Faculty, School of American Ballet, will moderate a chat with Tomasson, Edward Villella (Founding Artistic Director, Miami City Ballet) and Mark Morris (Founder, Mark Morris Dance Company).
Attendees will include former and current dancers from San Francisco Ballet, as well as other ballet luminaries including:
- Virginia Johnson, Artistic Director of Dance Theater of Harlem
- Kevin McKenzie, Artistic Director of American Ballet Theatre
- Martine van Hamel, former National Ballet of Canada and American Ballet Theatre dancer
- Janet Rollé, CEO and Executive Director of American Ballet Theatre
- Eduardo Vilaro, Artistic Director and CEO of Ballet Hispanico
- Carrie Hinrichs, Executive Director of School of American Ballet
- Kathy Brown, Executive Director of New York City Ballet
- Robert Garland, Resident Choreographer of Dance Theater of Harlem
Featured Photo of Helgi Tomasson © Erik Tomasson
Leave a Reply